Drunk driving is inexcusable. In 2011 (the most recent available data), there were 23,853 people injured and 1,089 people killed in alcohol-related vehicle crashes, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP). Each year, about 30 percent of all traffic fatalities in California are alcohol-impaired driving fatalities.
If you or a loved one was injured or killed by a drunk driver, you should speak with an experienced personal injury attorney immediately. The defendant’s insurance company will work to limit the size of your injury and damage compensation. You should not accept an initial offer from any insurance company, even your own. In most cases, injury victims deserve more, and you can obtain what you deserve with professionally managed legal action.
Call our personal injury lawyers at Winer, McKenna & Burritt, LLP, today to learn how we can help you (510) 433-1000
Who can sue in a DUI case?
- Any person who is injured by the wrongful conduct of a person driving under the influence or the survivors of someone who was killed by a defendant who was driving under the influence can bring a lawsuit against the defendant driver and any other person or entity who was responsible for the accident.
What damages can I recover in a Drunk Driving, wrongful death or serious personal injury case?
- Under California law, a seriously injured plaintiff is entitled to recover all of his or her past and future medical expenses; past and future loss of income/earning capacity; past and future pain, suffering and emotional distress. Further, plaintiff can recover punitive damages. In a wrongful death case, plaintiffs are entitled to recover damages to compensate for monetary losses as well as emotional distress damages for loss of society, comfort and care.
- For more information visit our DUI Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Page.
Proven Legal Advocates for DUI Accident Victims
At Winer, McKenna & Burritt, LLP, we represent accident victims and families throughout California. With offices in Oakland and Los Angeles, our attorneys respond to drunk driving accident cases immediately. We have obtained more than $150 million in settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we handle every case on a contingency fee basis, which means that we do not get paid unless you get paid.
We hold negligent parties accountable, and we pursue maximum compensation on your behalf, including:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Past and future income loss
- Loss of earning capacity
- Emotional distress
- Punitive damages
- Wrongful death losses
Recovery of punitive damages in DUI caused injury cases might also be available, and obtaining such an award may go a long way in covering your short- and long-term losses.
We are focused on your best possible recovery, and we independently investigate every case that we handle. With our legal counsel, you will be able to make informed decisions throughout the legal process while we handle all communications with insurance companies and all legal aspects of your case.
Significant Drunk Driving Accident Cases
- $2,500,000 — Judgment Against Bar That Served Drinks to Drunk Driver in Favor of Woman Employed by Bar
- $285,000 — Passenger Sues Drunk Driver of Car in Which He Was Passenger for Mild Traumatic Brain Injury
Get Legal Help From Experienced Lawyers
To schedule a free initial consultation with one of our experienced Oakland lawyers in the San Francisco or Los Angeles area, please email or call our offices at (510) 433-1000