Elana R. Jacobs
Elana R. Jacobs
Elana R. Jacobs is a Senior Associate with Winer, Burritt and Scott, LLP in their Oakland office where she primarily represents employees and other harmed individuals in harassment, discrimination, wrongful termination, sexual assault, and civil rights cases. Elana is dedicated not only to zealous representation of her clients, but also to ensuring her clients understand and have access to the judicial process. Elana has experience working with Spanish-speaking clients and speaks Spanish herself. (La abogada Elana Jacobs habla español). She is particularly passionate about representing women who have been sexually harassed and members of other traditionally marginalized groups.
While at the firm, Elana has gained experience in trial and arbitration, representing workers who were harassed and discriminated against, and even a child who was assaulted at school. Because of this experience, Elana is comfortable demanding full compensation for a client and arguing the case in front a jury if necessary. Prior to working for WB&S, Elana worked with other employment discrimination firms in the Bay Area, representing workers. She also worked in the Office of Campus Counsel at the University of California, Santa Cruz working on campus assault and discrimination issues (Title IX).
She has published an article on Intimate Partner Violence with D. Kelly Weisberg, entitled, Doctors Miss Signs of IPV in Certain Patient Groups, was recently published in Family and Intimate Partner Violence Quarterly.
Elana earned her J.D. from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law in San Francisco. She graduated cum laude. During law school, she won the Witkin Award for Excellence in her Domestic Violence and Criminal Sentencing classes; she also won an award for her Moot Court brief. Elana externed for a judge in the Superior Court of San Francisco and volunteered at the UC Hastings Civil Justice Clinic and Legal Aid at Work’s (formerly Employment Law Center’s) Workers’ Rights Clinic. Additionally, she was a member of the Hastings Women’s Law Journal and a research and teaching assistant. Elana graduated from Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts with a degree in sociology.
She is a licensed member of the State Bar of California, and admitted to practice in the United States District Court in the Eastern and Northern Districts of California.
Areas of Practice
- Employment Discrimination
- Wrongful Termination
- Sexual Assault
- Civil Rights
- Personal Injury Cases
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. cum laude
- Honors: Witkin Award for Excellence
- Honors: Moot Court brief
- Honors: Superior Court of San Francisco, Extern
- Honors: UC Hastings Civil Justice Clinic and the Employment Law Center’s Workers’ Rights Clinic, Volunteer
- Law Journal: Hastings Women’s Law Journal, Member
- Doctors Miss Signs of IPV in Certain Patient Groups, Family and Intimate Partner Violence Quarterly
Professional Associations and Memberships
- California Employment Lawyers Association, Member
- Consumer Attorneys of America, Member
- Alameda-Contra Costa Trial Lawyers Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Office of Campus Counsel at the University of California