The more we know about the causes of car accidents, the more we can do to prevent them.
According to the Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System (SWITRS), a database that collects and processes collision scene data, the most common causes of car accidents in California in 2013 were:
- Unsafe speed: 48,050 injuries, 436 deaths
- Automobile right-of-way issues: 24,247 injuries, 215 deaths
- Improper turning: 21,863 injuries, 544 deaths
- Traffic signals and signs: 12,494 injuries, 138 deaths
- Bicycling or driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs: 11,861 injuries, 568 deaths
- Unsafe lane changes: 6,521 injuries, 56 deaths
- Wrong side of the road: 5,257 injuries, 129 deaths
- Pedestrian right-of-way: 4,199 injuries, 97 deaths
- Pedestrian violation: 3,796 injuries, 432 deaths
- Following too closely: 3,587 injuries, 3 deaths
See all 2013 primary collision factor data.
When an accident is caused by another driver's negligent or reckless actions, the victim(s) may have legal options. Compensation may be available to cover all accident-related expenses, such as medical bills and lost wages.
Working with a personal injury attorney is advisable for individuals seeking to recover compensation following a car accident.
Free consultation: If you have been injured in a car accident and wish to speak to a personal injury lawyer, please call Winer, Burritt & Tillis LLP, at 800-652-6137.
No recovery, no fee: You owe us no attorney fees unless we successfully recover compensation on your behalf.