Shawn D. Tillis
Shawn D. Tillis
Shawn Tillis rejoined Winer, McKenna, Burritt & Tillis LLP in August 2009. He had previously worked for the firm as an associate from 2003 to 2006. Prior to returning to Winer, McKenna, Burritt & Tillis LLP, he worked as a Barrister in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. In Canada, his focus was personal injury and criminal defense.
Mr. Tillis’ practice focuses on personal injury, employment harassment and discrimination, medical malpractice, and sexual abuse cases against health care providers. He specializes in cases involving sexual abuse and severe mental and emotional damages. His unique background and experiences enable him to convey complex mental and emotional injuries in clear and simple language.
Shawn received his undergraduate degree in Economics from U.C. Santa Cruz in 1993 and his Juris Doctorate degree from Golden Gate University Law School in 2001. While at Golden Gate, he focused on the area of judicial opinion writing. He worked as an extern for U.S. District Court Judge Saundra Brown Armstrong and as a Legal Research Analyst at the California Continuing Education of the Bar. He received the California Jurisprudence Award in Constitutional Law and the CALI Award in Judicial Decisions Making- a course in judicial deliberation and opinion writing taught by U.S District Court Judge James Ware and U.S. Magistrate Judge Maria Elena-James. He was the recipient of the Just the Beginning Foundation Conference Award in honor of the late Judge Cecil F. Poole. He is also a Diana Richmond Scholar. Shawn was awarded the 2016 Minority Bar Coalition’s Unity Award by the Alameda-Contra Costa Trial Lawyers Association. Shawn is the President of the Alameda-Contra Costa Trial Lawyers Association.
Shawn and his two boys
When Shawn is not practicing law he is busy writing. He’s currently working on a post-phenomenological piece on Descartes’ Discourse on Method.
Shawn’s hobbies include reading moral philosophy and political-jurisprudence articles.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Employment Harassment & Discrimination
- Medical Malpractice
- Sex Abuse
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- California, 2003
- Golden Gate University School of Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. – 2001
- Honors: California Jurisprudence Award in Constitutional Law
- Honors: CALI Award in Judicial Decisions Making
- U.C. Santa Cruz – 1993
- Major: Economics
Honors and Awards
- Just the Beginning Foundation Conference Award
- Diana Richmond Scholar
- Minority Bar Coalition’s Unity Award
- Featured in The Bar Association of San Francisco’s Fall 2017 San Francisco Attorney magazine
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The State Bar of California, Member
- Alameda-Contra Costa Trial Lawyers Association, President
- First District Appellate Project (FDAP) Board of Directors
Past Employment Positions
- U.S. District Court Judge Saundra Brown Armstrong, Extern
- California Continuing Education of the Bar, Legal Research Analyst
- Winer, McKenna, Burritt & Tillis LLP, Associate , 2003 – 2006