We appreciate how difficult it is to select a lawyer. It can be an overwhelming process. Many lawyers come recommended from family, friends, business associates and websites, but how can you really tell who will best represent you? Who will take the time to develop a case that can take on any challenge?
Evaluating an attorney is not always straightforward. We hope to provide you with some insight that allows you to take the appropriate steps to make an informed decision about seeking the right lawyer to represent your legal interests and rights.
A Practical Guide To Selecting A Lawyer
Most lawyers have specialties. In a personal injury or employment law case, you do not want a general practice lawyer. You do not want a lawyer who specializes in family law, criminal law or real estate law.
Knowing specific information about the background, experience and successes of a law firm is critical to understanding how it will approach, build and represent your case. Many people will tell you to look at the firm’s trial experience and prior results. This information is important, but past results do not guarantee future success.
At Winer, Burritt & Tillis LLP, many of our verdicts and settlements are confidential. Other cases have contributed to significant changes in our society. Our attorneys are passionate about their work and committed to the pursuit of justice for each of our clients.
To learn how we can help you, call us at 800-652-6137 for a free consultation.
What To Look For In A Lawyer
- Does the lawyer have consistent prior results?
- Are reputable references from clients, colleagues, competitors, expert witnesses and retired judges listed on the lawyer’s website?
- Are ratings, awards and recognition from recognized legal and peer-review authorities such as Martindale-Hubbell, Super Lawyers and Consumer Attorneys of California listed on the lawyer’s website?
- How many years of experience does the lawyer have?
- Did the lawyer graduate from a reputable law school?
- Does the lawyer have extensive trial experience?
- Do his or her skills include strategic success in mediation, negotiation and arbitration?
- Does the lawyer have experience and success challenging the defenses of highly resourceful insurance companies and large defense law firms?
- Is the lawyer experienced in state and federal courts?
- Is the lawyer an active leader in the legal community?
- Is the lawyer published?
- Does the lawyer lecture?
- The lawyer should provide informative, timely and consistent communication through email, phone and online (e.g., a law firm blog).
- How well-staffed is the law firm?
- What is the quality of the firm’s support staff?
- Will the lawyer accept your case on a contingency fee basis?
- Be sure that the lawyer is admitted to the State Bar of California and that the lawyer has no disciplinary or administrative actions against him or her.
The partner attorneys at Winer, Burritt & Tillis LLP, have more than 60 years of combined experience. We take on tough challenges, and we produce results in our clients’ best interests. Each of our clients is unique, and each client receives personalized legal care and services.
We develop creative strategies in collaboration with experts in the field, investigators and our skilled staff. Our attorneys are responsive, accessible and ethical in all functions. We have earned a strong reputation in legal communities throughout California, and over the years, we have produced verdicts and settlements totaling more than $200 million for our clients.
Speak With An Accomplished And Personable Attorney | Contact Us Today
We provide comprehensive legal services and representation to clients throughout California. Contact Winer, McKenna, Burritt & Tillis LLP, to speak with a personal injury or employment law attorney in Oakland, San Francisco or Los Angeles at 800-652-6137 toll free. We offer free initial consultations and pursue cases on a contingency fee basis only.