According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, brain injuries affect approximately 1.7 million people in the United States every year. These injuries lead to loss of mobility, confusion, disorientation, chronic headaches, memory loss and many other serious side effects that can affect a person for the rest of his of her life. Additionally, traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are a contributing factor in nearly one-third of all injury-related deaths in the U.S.
Despite the prevalence of these injuries, successfully obtaining compensation for brain injuries caused by the negligent conduct of another person or entity requires the services of an experienced brain injury advocate. This is due to the fact that physical damage to the brain is often unseen, making a keen understanding of brain anatomy and the law governing brain injury cases a necessity to build a convincing case on your behalf.
A Pre-Eminent Brian Injury And Personal Injury Firm
Oakland Personal Injury lawyers at Winer, Burritt and Scott, LLP, serves as one of California’s pre-eminent injury law firms. We represent clients who have been injured in all types of accidents, including those with severe, life-altering injuries. We are prepared to represent clients in complex cases involving brain injuries. These difficult cases require extensive medical documentation, an in-depth understanding of the law and the fearless demeanor necessary to go up against large insurance companies.
Call us at (510) 433-1000 to schedule a free consultation.
Common Locations Of Brain Injuries
The location of a brain injury can lead to varying results. Damage to one part of the brain will likely result in different symptoms than damage to another part. Commonly damaged locations in the brain include the:
- Frontal lobe
- Temporal lobe
- Orbitofrontal cortex
- Occipital lobe
- Angular gyrus
- Parietal lobe
- Sensory cortex
- Olfactory bulb
Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) are especially serious and can result in lifelong headaches or brain damage and, in extreme cases, death. TBI often affects the orbitofrontal cortex and the anterior temporal lobes, which may impact social behavior, emotions, the sense of smell or taste, and decision-making. Effects and symptoms may not be noticeable until several days after the injury occurred.
After a person has experienced loss of consciousness, even if just for a few seconds, be concerned about headaches, vomiting, nausea, lack of motor coordination, dizziness, blurred vision, ringing in the ears, fatigue, difficulty balancing, mood changes, confusion, difficulty concentrating, memory loss and other abnormalities.
Brain Injury Cases In California
We are equipped to represent clients in cases involving any type of brain injury. Commonly, these cases involve:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI): Whether a TBI was caused by a fall, accident or any other situation, our dedicated team of litigators can build a strong case that protects your interests and helps you obtain the compensation you need for your recovery.
- Mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI): We know how to show the full extent of injuries in MTBI cases, even where initial assessments and radiographic scans do not immediately show damage.
- Concussions: Although many people approach concussions as though they are not a serious injury, the reality is that you need to seek medical and legal advice following any type of brain injury, or you may suffer lifelong side effects of brain damage.
- Closed brain injury: Our lawyers have developed effective trial strategies that educate juries and have resulted in successful outcomes in even the most complex closed brain injury cases.
If your brain injury case is against a California government entity, time is of the essence. You have only six months to file your claim, or it will be barred forever. If you are unsure who your case is against, contact us and we can help clarify the situation and prevent the statute of limitations from expiring.
Attorneys With A Proven Method Of Obtaining Success In Brain Injury Cases
At Winer, Burritt and Scott, LLP, we have the experience, well-honed litigation skills and history of obtaining favorable results necessary to give your case the strongest chance of success. Our team of insightful Oakland brain injury lawyers is defined by a dedication to upholding the highest standards of legal excellence. We are led by partner attorneys with more than 60 combined years of litigation experience. At all stages of your case, we focus on the impact that your injuries have on your life. This client-focused approach makes us especially adept at:
- Preserving evidence
- Collecting witness statements
- Obtaining medical, school, employment and all other relevant records
- Conducting depositions
- Acquiring expert opinions
- Building powerful trial strategies
- Using decades of litigation experience to advocate on your behalf
Our comprehensive approach to investigations, examination of medical evidence, depositions and trials has allowed us to reach numerous multimillion-dollar verdicts in settlements involving all types of brain injuries. In total, we have obtained more than $200 million for clients throughout California.
To learn more about brain injuries and the services that we provide, view our FAQ.
Significant Brain Injury Cases
- $1,200,000 — Medical Malpractice Settlement on Behalf of Severely Brain Damaged Client
- $1,000,050 — Toxic Exposure Victim Wins Settlement After Trial Verdict
- $1,000,000 — 28-Year-Old Man Receives a Traumatic Brain Injury in a Truck Accident
Contact A Walnut Creek-Area Personal Injury Lawyer
We take care of these and all other legal aspects of brain injury cases so that our clients can focus all of their energy on recovering from these life-altering injuries.
Schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with a Los Angeles-, San Francisco- or Oakland-based brain injury lawyer by filling out our online form or calling 800-652-6137. We pursue all cases on a contingency fee basis.