Trusted Molestation Attorneys Serving San Mateo, California
Child molestation is a pervasive problem in our country. Over the past few years, we have seen many high-profile cases of sexual abuse of children come to light. According to RAINN, our country’s largest anti-sexual violence organization, the data is staggering. Here is some of what it has found:
- One in nine girls and one in 53 boys under the age of 18 have experienced some form of sexual abuse or assault by an adult.
- Eighty-two percent of victims of child sexual abuse victims are female.
- In the fiscal year 2016 alone, Child Protective Services found evidence indicating the sexual abuse of 57,329 children.
If you or a family member has been the victim of child molestation, you no longer have to remain silent. You can hold the perpetrator of the abuse accountable for the harm that was done to you. At Winer, Burritt & Scott, LLP, our skilled San Mateo molestation lawyers can help you get the justice you deserve.
Who Is The Molester?
Those who work with victims of child molestation understand that the typical molester is not the one in the shadow, but operates in the light of day, often under the noses of those who should be protecting children. Consequently, we now understand that the perpetrator of child sexual abuse not only knows that child but often grooms and manipulates them to make them more malleable prey. Many child sexual predators are those who we trust every day with our children, including:
- Youth athletic leaders
- Summer camp counselors
- Daycare and after school care workers
- Scout leaders
- Doctors and other healthcare providers
These individuals have access to their prey and commonly use grooming to gain influence over them and reduce the risks of being caught. While most grooming tactics are employed over younger children, vulnerable teens can also be particularly at risk.
At Winer, Burritt & Scott, LLP, our experienced San Mateo molestation lawyers are dedicated to the legal rights of these young victims. We have represented countless cases on behalf of victims who were abused by these predatory individuals. If you or your child has been victimized by a child sexual predator, we offer diligent and compassionate representation to help ensure closure and healing.
Being Watchful For Grooming
The most common tool for child predators is grooming techniques that help coerce their victims to agree to the abuse and keep them silent. Grooming can occur almost anywhere where predators and children coincide, whether the behavior takes place in person or online.
Most molesters usually follow a pattern when choosing their victims.
- They will observe a possible child and assess some vulnerability that makes them easier targets.
- Once they gain access to the child, they attempt to physically or emotionally isolate them from others, often from the very individuals who protect them.
- During this time, they attempt to gain the trust of their victim and often give them the attention they crave, offer gifts, and share “secrets” to make their victims feel special and cared for.
- They then begin to desensitize their victims to touch and topics, with initial more harmless contact that escalates with time.
- The abuser will attempt to make all this behavior seem normal and “loving” to their victims.
While molesters are trying to gain the trust of the child, they are often also attempting to gain the confidence of the family. Abusers are often seen as kind and helpful by the family, which can make it even more challenging to assess the danger of the individual. Even more difficult to detect are those who gain access to children online outside the watchful eyes of adults.
Adults who attempt to use their positions of trust to gain access to children are what we are seeing more and more in the media and the public eye. At Winer, Burritt & Scott, our San Mateo molestation lawyers are dedicated to those who have been used and exploited by these despicable adults. By holding these people accountable and requiring that they compensate their victims, we can help the victims of childhood sexual abuse move forward and help give them a voice to protect others from the same fate.
What Can A Molestation Victim Be Compensated For?
A civil lawsuit against a child sex abuser or an institution that should have kept them safe can hold them financially liable for damages that the victim has suffered. Survivors of childhood molestation may be able to seek compensation from the abuser or the institution, including:
- Reimbursement for medical expenses
- Reimbursement for mental health expenses
- Hospitalization and rehabilitation expenses
- Non-economic damages for physical, emotional, or mental injury or distress
While a civil claim will not hold the abuser criminally accountable, it can offer the victim and family financial compensation for the costs associated with the wounds of the molestation.
Getting Compassionate Legal Assistance You Can Trust
The San Mateo molestation lawyers at Winer, Burritt & Scott, LLP bring over 60 years of combined experience in pursuit of justice for survivors of sexual abuse and molestation throughout the state of California. Call us or contact us online to schedule a free, confidential consultation to discuss your case.